SC - Scottish/british food terms

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Tue Dec 29 06:49:17 PST 1998

Dear Elyesant,

The impression that I got from my source was that seaweed was indeed a part of
the traditional diet of the Irish, but that they were of necessity forced to
rely on it (and other such wild foods) so heavily during the Famine that
people suffered a revulsion against them afterwards.

There are a couple of books (including a kids' book on the history of the
potato which I don't have the exact title for, and America's First Cuisines)
which discuss the potato's influence in European food.

Devra the Baker (Devra Langsam)