SC - Scottish/british food terms

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 29 08:04:21 PST 1998

> Gave a friend a book on Scottish cooking, and he has a couple of questions
> on terms used. Anybody know what "single cream" or "brown sauce" refers
> to,
> specificly?
>

> Phlip

Single cream is cream containing 18% fat.  If you want to check out other
British dairy product terms try:

http://www.milk.co.uk/creamtypes.html

The European brown sauce I am familiar with starts by sauteing vegetables in
butter until the butter starts to brown then adding flour to make a lightly
browned roux.  For basic brown sauce, the pan is deglazed with a little red
wine.  Brown stock (beef or veal) is added.  Add a herb bouquet of bay leaf,
parsley, thyme and peppercorns wrapped in cheesecloth.  Simmer for about 15
minutes.  Strain and reserve.

Bear