SC - purple fleur de lis?

Russell Gilman-Hunt conchobar at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 30 13:22:07 PST 1998

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:50:47 -0500 Marilyn Traber <margali at 99main.com>
writes:
>LOL
>very true. Max was by tonight and was very pleased to get the brewing
>recipes,
>and he concurs that the oak leaf brew was something to fake out oak
>cask aging
>for a wine. He wasn't sure if he liked the texture of the gingerbrede,
>but he
>liked the flavor and may try to duplicate it in a ginger beer for rob.
>margali
>

>  ps- Ras, I know you have the reflexive 'recipe, documentation'
>printing macro
>in your email program, so here is the recipe she gave me-
>
>gwin dail derw - oak leaf wine
>for each gallon:
>a quantity of clean brown withered oak leaves gathered from the tree
>on a dry
>day, bruised piece of whole giger, 4 lbs white sugar, 1 lb chopped
>rasins, 1/2
>oz yeast

Well, this is curious! the Oak leaf recipe I have calls for new oak
leaves, not bigger than a squirrel's ear, and no rasins!?! Mine is from
_Beer and Wines of Old New England_, Where did Max find his?
I used a quart of squirrel's sized oak leaves, and steeped, as for tea,
and then added 2 1/2 lbs of clover honey ( the recipe called for 2 lbs of
sugar, but I thought a oak leaf mead would be more interesting), for a
gallon's worth. I think the yeast I used was a wine yeast; I'd have to go
find my brewing notebook to find out which one, tho'.  Since it was a
mead, rather than a wine, I'm waiting a year, before I try it .

 Beatrix
Oakheart/Calontir
Springfield, Mo