SC - Candied Spices???

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 2 16:26:41 PST 1998

Jennifer Conrad wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> I am doing an Italian theamed feast in April and I was wondering, would
> anyone out there know of a source of candied spices?  Or are these
> relatively easy to make?  Also, what types of spices would be candied,
> besides coriander. (The only one I've come across so far)
>
> Luveday

If you have until April, you have a bit of time to experiment. There's a
good period recipe in Goud Kokery, which is volume 5 of Curye on
Inglysch. The trick on which everything else hangs is that no water is
added to make a sugar syrup, you just melt the sugar in small
quantities, slowly, being careful not to burn, and coat your seeds,
nuts, or what have you.

Coriander seeds, anise, fennel, caraway, cumin, peppercorns, chips of
cinnamon (albeit hard on the teeth) and little ginger cubes, are all
suitable for candying.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --