SC - Candied Spices???

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Dec 2 17:51:48 PST 1998

>Jennifer Conrad wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all!
>>
>> I am doing an Italian theamed feast in April and I was wondering, would
>> anyone out there know of a source of candied spices?  Or are these
>> relatively easy to make?  Also, what types of spices would be candied,
>> besides coriander. (The only one I've come across so far)

Hello!  There are detailed directions for candying comfits in Sir Hugh
Plat's Delights for Ladies, pp 32-39.  He recommends small bits of cinnamon
sticks, aniseed, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, caraway seeds, orange
rinds, ginger, cloves, almonds, and balls of flavored breadcrumbs

I've seen boxes of candied aniseeds at a local Dutch bakery.  The seeds
were coated in white or purple sugar.

Mistress Alys has posted an article about her comfit-making exploits.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"