SC - Snapdragon?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Dec 2 20:55:31 PST 1998

>The second item was a festive dish referred to as a "snapdragon."  The
>most information I could glean from the book was that it had
>*something* to do with raisins soaked in (presumably brandy) and lit
>afire.  They never outlined the procedure for the dish itself.
>
>Any Anglophiles out there with some idea on the "snapdragon?"
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>	- kat

You've pretty much got it.  It is a game though, not a 'dish' per se.
The object is to snatch raisins out of the flaming bowl.  It is
traditional for this time of year.  I actually believe it is a period
game, perhaps traceable to Oxford students, mummer's plays, the Lord of
Misrule, etc.
Christianna