SC - I need some advice and dessert recipes

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Dec 4 13:50:13 PST 1998

Greetings all,

Caldrithig is hosting the Baronial (Skraeling Althing) 12th Night Pot Luck
this year and since I am head kitchen organizer (so what else is new?) I
thought we would do things a little different this year. (Claricia please
keep this under your apron...kay?) We have decided that we are going to set
up a menu and let the populace decide what it is they wish to bring given
the list of menu items. I have kept it really really simple as the level of
cooking in our fair Baronry is somewhat limited.

Going on the premise of 100 people to feed, I have worked out how many of
each dish we need. Couples will be required to bring two dishes, triples
(this is Skrael after all) three and so on.

I have kept the difficulty degree to SIMPLE but a couple are of the
intermediate level. At the next general meeting I will include sign up
sheets, recipes and ingredient (shopping) lists and will be available for
people to contact me if they run into problems.

I also figure that if we keep the meats to a simple roast and have plenty
of vegetables and legumes etc, the vegans among us will be happy as well.
(did "I" say that?) Well, it is a Baronial event and these people ARE my
extended family.

I have also kept in mind price, so people that are truly cooking challenged
and have chosen bread, will also be required to bring cheese and/or butter
as well.

Has anyone tried this type of Pot Luck before? If so, what are the pot
holes I may fall into and how did you solve them? Any advice and guidance
would be appreciated as I have never organized this sort of thing before
and given that I can organize and cook, perhaps I can't see the hazards of
this type of feast that may befall us.

Another thing that I am having a problem with is the dessert/sweets area. I
am having a problem finding really yummy period or per-iod like recipes. If
some of you could post your favorite transportable SIMPLE sweet recipes I
would be grateful.

Thanks guys

Micyalah

************************************

Mulled Apple Cider
Mulled Pear Cider
Ypocras

Breads
Herb Butter
Honey Butter
Cheeses
Pickled Eggs
Tart de Bry (Brie Tart)

Makerouns (Noodles and Cheese)
Salat (Green Salad)
Lady Mariottes Salad

Meat Pies
Roast Pork & Applesauce
Ham
Roast Beef
Roast Chicken

Marinated Mushrooms
Vegetable Tarte
Honey Glazed Vegetables
Chilled Peas Vinagrette

Barley Pilaf with Pine Nuts
Lemonwhtye (Rice)
Lentils and Leeks
Frumenty

12th Nite Cake
Nucato (Honey-Nut Crunch)
Cherry Bread Pudding
Blak Perys (Pears with Carob Cream)

"Time is that quality of nature which keeps  events from
happening all at once.  Lately it doesn't seem to be working."