SC - Three Questions (one of them oop)

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Fri Dec 4 19:35:38 PST 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:48:26 -0600 allilyn at juno.com (LYN M PARKINSON)
writes:
>Beatrix,
>
>I think we've discussed taffy, and it is documentable to the Near
>East.  His Grace or Ras or Stephen will probably say for sure.  Would
>you post the recipe, please, and the cookbook citation?  Our
>Chancellor Minor loves getting ideas; I'll pass this one on to her.
>

>Regards,
>
>Allison
>allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
>Kingdom of Aethelmearc
Well, I ran across this recipe in the great bean/bacon soup search, and
it's historical, just not SCA historical :)

>From the _Country Cookin' City Style_
a pamphlet from Silver Dollar City, a historical village/amusement park
here in the Ozarks, which shows life from 1880's Ozarks, heavy on the
sugar treatment of history (but a good place to get accurate crafts and
stuff  if you have deep enough pockets)

Vinegar Taffy

3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vinegar

Mix the sugar and vinegar and cook over a low heat. Stir constantly until
the sugar is completely dissolved. Continue cooking until the syrup
reaches the soft crack stage, or when a few drops of the candy in cold
water separate into thread which are hard but not brittle enough to
break. Pour the entire mixture onto a buttered platter and let it cool
until it can be handled easily. Butter your hands well and pull the taffy
until it is almost firm and takes on a white color. Stretch into a rope
about one inch in diameter and snip off chunks with the scissors. This is
a lot of fun for the children to make. It's an ideal project for the
holidays.

I haven't made this yet, but I'm planning on trying it for Christmas
gifts this year. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Beatrix (who always has to buy some stone ground flour of some sort from
the grist mill every time she goes to SDC, just because)
Oakheart/Calontir
Springfield, MO