SC - Fava beans?? (and thanks)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 11:10:13 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/5/98 2:41:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
melisant at iafrica.com writes:

<< Please, can one of you American cooks give me an alternative name for fava
 beans?  They ain't known in South Africa under that name.  What do the
 darned things look like?  White?  Brown?  Approximate shape?   >>

Horse beans. They look like extra big lima beans with a fat end that has a dip
in it. They are usually white or cream colored unless the skin had been left
on in which case they would be reddish brown. If you find them with the skins
on, soak them in hot water for anbout 10 or 15 mins. and slip them off as they
are tough.

You might try looking in the dried beans section of your local health food
store if you have one. Although I don't remember excatly what your weather is
there, I seem to recall that it is rather warm most, if not all of the year.
Favas require cool day/nihgt growing conditions that are somewhat humid which
makes England an ideal place to grow them or early spring in much of the
States.

I have only found them teice here in NE Pa. Once as fresh green ones and once
as dried ones. Good luck in your search.

Ras