SC - An introduction and hopefully a quick query

Mon Dec 7 08:22:55 PST 1998

> << If you happen to be working with medieval Islamic recipes, it is worth
>  knowing that "ratl" and "uqiya," sometimes translated "pound" and
> "ounce,"
>  are from a system with 12 ounces to a pound, which I think is also true
> of
>  the troy system.
>

>  David/Cariadoc >>
>
> So is the ounce bigger or is  it the same ounce? What I mean is that if
> the
> ratl is 12 oz. = 1 1/2 cp liquid then is the uqiya still 1 oz=2 tblsps
> liquid?
> This is how I have been doing it and have had consistently successful
> results.
>
> Ras

I believe you will find that the Troy or apothecary measures are strictly
weight based.  Troy and avoirdupois measures are based a standard grain of
64 milligrams.

A Troy oz is 480 grains.  A Troy pound is 12 Troy oz or 5,760 grains.

An avoirdupois ounce is 437.5 grains.  An avoirdupois pound is 16 oz or
7,000 grains.

The variation is less than 10 per cent, which means it has minimal effect
given the innaccuracies of volume measure.

Bear