SC - OP humorous recipe

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Wed Dec 9 07:22:34 PST 1998

     To all cooks who have a problem determing when the holiday turkey is
     ready, I offer the following recipe, given to me by my gray-haired
     grandmother, many years ago:

     Turkey and Stuffing

     1 15 to 20 pound turkey, fresh or frozen & thawed
     4 cups dry cubed wheat bread (sourdough works great!)
     4 cups cubed corn bread
     1/2 cup (one stick) butter
     1 large onion, chopped
     1/2 cup celery, chopped
     1 can cream of mushroom soup
     2 large eggs
     2 Tbsp. rubbed sage
     Chicken stock as needed
     1 cup unpopped popcorn

     Rinse the turkey under cold running water.  Remove any pinfeathers and
     excess fat.  Rinse the giblets and simmer until tender. Place the
     turkey in a heavy roasting pan.   Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

     In a saute pan, melt the butter.  Add chopped onions and celery.  Cook
     over medium heat until translucent, not browned.

     In a large bowl, mix bread cubes, onions, celery, sage, eggs and
     mushroom soup and popcorn.  Mix well.  Loosely stuff the turkey with
     this mixture.  Using butcher string, sew or tie the turkey closed.
     Add one cup of chicken stock to the roaster pan, cover and place in
     oven.

     If there is any remaining stuffing, add 1 cup chicken stock, and mix
     well.  Place in baking dish beside the turkey.

     Cook for several hours or until the popcorn blows the A** off the
     turkey!

     Happy Holidays!

     Lady Leanna of Sparrowhaven
     (mka Diana Skaggs, Stillwater, OK)