SC - Three Questions (one of them oop)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 10 12:48:09 PST 1998

At 11:48 PM -0600 12/3/98, LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

>I think we've discussed taffy, and it is documentable to the Near East.
>His Grace or Ras or Stephen will probably say for sure.

Ras mentioned a taffy recipe from al-Bagdadi; here is the original recipe.
We don't have a satisfactory worked-out version yet.

Halwa' Yabisa
al Baghdadi p. 210/13

Take sugar, dissolve in water, and boil until set: then remove from the
dish, and pour onto a soft surface to cool. Take an iron stake with a soft
head and plant it into the mass, then pull up the sugar, stretching it with
the hands and drawing it up the stake all the time, until it becomes white:
then throw once more onto the surface. Knead in pistachios, and cut into
strips and triangles. If desired, it may be colored, either with saffron or
with vermilion. Sometimes it is crumbled with a little peeled almonds,
sesame, or poppy.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook