SC - Period Use of Mushrooms

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 10 16:14:14 PST 1998

At 4:49 PM -0500 12/4/98, THLRenata at aol.com wrote:
>I made the "Funges" (sorry about the spelling -- I'm at work and the recipe is
>at home)

Consistant spelling is Out Of Period.

>recipe out of "To The King's Taste" over the weekend as part of a
>practice session for my Barony's Yule potluck.  It came out pretty good and it
>got me to thinking -- what varieties of mushroom would have ben used for the
>original recipe back in Richard II's day?  Were they cultivated or did someone
>just go out and pull them off of tree trunks?
>
>I used plain button mushrooms, but I think it would taste better with a
>different variety or maybe a mixture.  Any thoughts?

Menagier  (Paris, late 14th c.) says about mushrooms:

"MUSHROOMS of one night are the best, and are small and red inside, closed
above: and they should be peeled, then wash in hot water and parboil; if
you wish to put them in pastry, add oil, cheese and powdered spices.

"Item, put them between two dishes over the coals, and add a little salt,
cheese and powdered spices. You can find them at the end of May and in
June."

I don't know what kind he is describing, but it doesn't sound like what I
buy at the grocery.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook