SC - OT: The Harp and Caliper

Kathleen M Hogan kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Sun Dec 13 07:24:09 PST 1998

I have received many requests for information on how to get a copy of the
A&S booklet that I mentioned.  Here is a copy of the announcement that
Lady Ginevra posted on the Merry Rose.  I hope that those interested do
contact her as it is a fundraiser project for our shire.

Caitlin nicFhionghuin
House Oak & Thistle
Shire of Bordervale Keep, Atlantia

- --------- Begin forwarded message ----------
From: Doug and Maria Munitz <ginevra at bellsouth.net>

Unto the good people of the Merry Rose, Greetings from the Shire of
Border Vale Keep.

     The Shire of Border Vale Keep has assembled a handbook of Arts and
Sciences subjects for the SCA newcomer or the seasoned member who wishes
to learn a new subject.  Several members of our Shire have helped to
create this booklet as a fundraiser  It is called the Harp and Caliper
and contains an overview of Atlantian A&S competitions and samples of the
paperwork for the 3 kinds of competitions-display, ambience and
authenticity.  Under the articles you will find:

Drop-Spindle Spinning by THLady Siobhan Eliot
Home Brewing (beer) by Sven and Ole
Gingerbread Castle Building by Lady Diana Francesca della Mirandola
A Simple Crocheted Snood by Lady Caitlin nic Fhioghuin
Harem Pants and Circle Skirt Patterns by Viscountess Mistress Elitha
	bint Fahd ibn Actar
Getting Underneath What People Wore by Baroness Beatrice Brandon
	(chemise patterns included)
Also:A Primer for Recorder that includes fingering charts for both
soprano and alto recorders, 14th Century Templers made Easy, Simple
outline embroidery. And there are  some recipes including my (not very
well-kept) secret recipe for Chantal or Cherry Rose cordial.

     The price is $7.50 plus postage and handling($1.50).  If interested
please contact me and we'll get it to you.  Also, if you come to BVK
events
such as Mid-Winters Tale this weekend, they will be offered there as
well. They may also show up at an event near you.
     By the end of next year we will also have completed Vol.2.  Subjects
will most likely include medieval herbs, shoes, reading music, mead,
illumination, more recipes, pronouncing Italian for Heralds and Italian
Personas, a guide for baby feastocrats including a sample feast with
recipes, medieval gardens, plus others.

In service to the Shire, the Kingdom, and the Dream
Lady Ginevra  de'Rossi
Seneschal, Border Vale Keep

- --------- End forwarded message ----------