SC - Panforte - OOP but perioid

Tue Dec 15 07:24:27 PST 1998

> >This recipe, while not provable Medieval, is similar to period
> gingerbreads.
>
> Do you know of any medieval gingerbreads that are similar to this, or are
> you thinking of the 16th-17th c. ones?
>
> David Friedman

I'm working from memory as to some of the gingerbreads which have been
mentioned on the list, which probably means 16th Century.

While panforte may be demonstrably 13th Century, I'm certain the recipe I
have is a modern version.  I would have expected bread crumbs rather than
flour for a 16th Century version and honey rather than honey and sugar for a
13th Century version.  Unfortunately, without dated recipes, my opinions are
idle speculations.

Bear