SC - Hedgehogs

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Dec 15 07:36:59 PST 1998

- --=====================_39750894==_.ALT

Hi all from Anne-Marie

re: hedgehogs/yrchouns/etc....

here's my version. Adamantius is right...your generic UNSEASONED ground pork
works great and has enough fat that they stick together nicely. I like mine
pretty spicey and slightly sweet, so tend to at least double the spices.
Mix it
up and fry a bit then taste test. Adjust the seasonings as you like. Also,
please note that the originals do indeed call for sausage casings. In SCA
tradition, we often will omit this and just do them like little sausage
meatballs. I've done it with the sausage casings, and they were very good
(Though getting the almonds to stay was a pain).

These are a big hit at demos and with kids, being cute as all get out. Its
also
a good illustration of the concept of a sobteltie.

enjoy! as always, all rights reserved, blah blah blah.

- --AM

YRCHOUNS: Take Piggis mayws and skalde them wel; take groundyn Pork and
knede it
with Spicerye, with pouder Gyngere, and Salt and Sugre; do it on the mawe, but
fille it nowt to fulle, then sewe them with a fayre threde and putte them in a
Spete and men don piggys. Take blaunchid Almoundys and kerf them long, smal
and
scharpe, and frye them in grece and sugre. Take a ltytle prycke and pryckke
the
yrchons. An putte in the holes the Almoundys, every hole half, and lech fro
sometimes. Ley them then to the fryre; when they be rostid, dore them, sum
with
Whete Flowre and mylke of Almoundys, sum grene, sume blake with Blode, and lat
them nowt browne to moche; and serve forth. (Harleian MS 279, c. 1420)

a handful slivered almonds, lightly fried in butter and sprinkled with sugar
2 lbs ground pork
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp each salt and sugar
1/2 tsp  cinnamon
1/4 tsp clove
currants for eyes and nose

Fry the almonds in melted butter over gentle heat. Don't over cook! They like
to burn, even after you take them off the stove. Just before they're done,
sprinkle them with a bit of sugar. Try not to eat them all before you use them
for the hedgehogs...

Mix the pork and spices; form into balls about 2" in diameter, and squish into
a vaguely hedgehog shape (kinda ovalesque). Stick them with the slivered
almonds, at least 6-8 per hedgehog, angled backwards, like quills.  Place a
snippet of current for each eye and a nose. Bake on a cookie sheet in a 350o
oven for 30 min, taking care not to burn them, until medium brown. Drain on
paper towels for a couple of minutes before serving.

- --=====================_39750894==_.ALT

Hi all from Anne-Marie<br>
re: hedgehogs/yrchouns/etc....<br>
here's my version. Adamantius is right...your generic UNSEASONED ground
pork works great and has enough fat that they stick together nicely. I
like mine pretty spicey and slightly sweet, so tend to at least double
the spices. Mix it up and fry a bit then taste test. Adjust the
seasonings as you like. Also, please note that the originals do indeed
call for sausage casings. In SCA tradition, we often will omit this and
just do them like little sausage meatballs. I've done it with the sausage
casings, and they were very good (Though getting the almonds to stay was
a pain).<br>
These are a big hit at demos and with kids, being cute as all get out.
Its also a good illustration of the concept of a sobteltie.<br>
enjoy! as always, all rights reserved, blah blah blah.<br>
- --AM<br>
skalde them wel; take groundyn Pork and knede it with Spicerye, with
pouder Gyngere, and Salt and Sugre; do it on the mawe, but fille it nowt
to fulle, then sewe them with a fayre threde and putte them in a Spete
and men don piggys. Take blaunchid Almoundys and kerf them long, smal and
scharpe, and frye them in grece and sugre. Take a ltytle prycke and
pryckke the yrchons. An putte in the holes the Almoundys, every hole
half, and lech fro sometimes. Ley them then to the fryre; when they be
rostid, dore them, sum with Whete Flowre and mylke of Almoundys, sum
grene, sume blake with Blode, and lat them nowt browne to moche; and
serve forth. </i>(Harleian MS 279, c. 1420)<br>
a handful slivered almonds, lightly fried in butter and sprinkled with
sugar<br>
2 lbs ground pork<br>
2 tsp ginger<br>
1 tsp each salt and sugar<br>
1/2 tsp  cinnamon <br>
1/4 tsp clove<br>
currants for eyes and nose<br>
Fry the almonds in melted butter over gentle heat. Don't over cook! They
like to burn, even after you take them off the stove. Just before they're
done, sprinkle them with a bit of sugar. Try not to eat them all before
you use them for the hedgehogs...<br>
Mix the pork and spices; form into balls about 2" in diameter, and
squish into a vaguely hedgehog shape (kinda ovalesque). Stick them with
the slivered almonds, at least 6-8 per hedgehog, angled backwards, like
quills.  Place a snippet of current for each eye and a nose. Bake on
a cookie sheet in a 350o oven for 30 min, taking care not to burn them,
until medium brown. Drain on paper towels for a couple of minutes before
serving.<br>