SC - Hedgehogs

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Dec 16 08:22:19 PST 1998

> "182	Farsur to make pomme dorryse and o(th)ere (th)ynges. Take (th)e
> lire of pork rawe, and grynde it smale.

> I think a really essential point is to use the right cut of pork,
> especially if you're doing little ones without the natural organ
> casings.

> Hope this does it for you...
>
> Adamantius

I do have a question. I understand that "mawe" is the intestine casing but
am I mistaken in the use of the term "lire" in meaning liver? If not, where
does this come from? Maybe I'm just being dense but I think using pork liver
would make a major change.

Also, I've noticed that with the exception of the Forme of Cury these are to
be stuffed into casings and then roasted on a spit while a batter is poured
over. The others are to be boiled and then spit roasted. Now the redactions
I've seen say to make them into meatballs and bake them. Won't that give a
radically different dish than the period sources?

I could be reading the period instructions all wrong but I was wondering
about this. Especially with HG Cariadoc's admonishment about making too
radical a change from the period direction.

Yers,

Gunthar