SC - Biscuits-oop

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 16 17:28:27 PST 1998

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> Anybody have a biscuit recipe real quick? My mother has a snootful, and just
> threw the bisquick box into the fire, and all my cookbooks are packed.
>
> Phlip

Omigosh! You just need a biscuit recipe, or does it have to be one that
uses Bisquick? I hope the former...

I'd qualify these as Evil Carpetbagger Yankee Biscuits, but until
something better comes along from a more qualified party, here goes:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 ounces cold solid fat (butter, lard, and/or bacon fat, shortening,
etc. I 		like half butter and half bacon fat)
Enough cold milk or buttermilk to make the dry ingredients into a mass
of
	non-sticky dough, probably something like 1 1/4 cups
Flour for dusting as needed

Sift dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, and add the fat. Using your
fingertips only, pinch the fat into smaller and smaller pieces, using
the sides of your hands to rotate the bowl as you work. When the
contents of the bowl is granular like cornmeal, add enough of your
liquid to make a dough. This is a function of experience: start with
just under a cup and adjust if needed, but don't keep working in more
liquid to get it just exactly right, or the biscuits will be tough.

Roll onto floured board with floured rolling pin, and cut out into
rounds, or squares, or form "catheads" by hand, or however your grandma
used to do it. I use a floured jelly glass.

Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet, roughly 20 minutes, or until golden
brown and they sound slightly hollow when tapped. Effete types like to
brush a little milk on top to enhance browning.

Serve with chocolate gravy! ;  )

Good luck!

Adamantius
- --