SC - Hedgehogs

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 16 19:11:49 PST 1998

Diana Haven wrote:

> Forced meat is what we modern folk use hamburger meat for.  My
> grandmother always ground her own meat, and called it forced meat.
> dunno why. (but it always tasted better than the store bought stuff!)
> I seem to remember her putting schmaltz in it as well.

I've seen hamburger and other ground meat recipes with various added
fats, ranging from butter to suet, and then there's the dab of peanut
oil I add to ground pork for Cantonese dishes.

Forced meat, though, is probably called such because it's used in a
stuffing. Usually called forcemeat in modern culinary jargon, but in
period recipes it's often called a farsure or some such, based on the
verb farce or force, to stuff. Forcemeat can actually be just about any
finely chopped, pastelike stuffing, even when it contains no meat. A
typical non-meat forcemeat might contain something like minced spinach,
a panade made from fresh bread crumbs cooked in milk, butter, and eggs.

Hey, I wonder if a dramatic or fictional farce is so called because it's
stuffed full of artificial content it would otherwise lack?

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy