SC - barley

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Dec 16 21:35:26 PST 1998

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Robyn Probert wrote:

> Same thing happened in Australia with rabbit. We have major rabbit problems
> here (despite myxamatosis) and during the Depression, it was the only meat
> available for many people - Rabbitos used to hawk bunnies around the streets
> for a meagre living. As a result, rabbit was avoided for decades after as
> 'food you only ate if you were too poor to afford anything else'.

	This reminds me of some 'bad ol' days', just after we moved to
Oregon and I was pregnant with my son (now a sullen adolescent). We were
desperately broke, but my (then) husband had a crayfish trap, and there
was a safe stream hard by the house... we thought we were living like
kings, with all those tiny 'lobsters', until we reached the point where I
was having to be very, uh, _creative_ with recipes. To this day I LOATHE
crayfish, and I'm not crazy about lobster, either (by association, I
guess). Might explain why my son is so 'crabby' though! ;-D
	Anyone for Crayfish Creole?

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731