SC - Bean experiments

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Dec 19 02:43:29 PST 1998

Tonight's Play in the Kitchen dealt with some bean experiments.  I don't
have any Fava beans, so the experiments still have a great gap, but
having washed, soaked, rinsed and cooked pea beans, pinto beans, great
northern beans, navy beans, chick peas and lentils I don't find much
taste difference in any of them.  What little there might be would be
covered with the onions and garlic that seem ubiquitous to period
preparations.  Once brayed, they'd look almost the same, too, except for
a bit of color difference, and that could be changed with the recommended
saffron.

Now, all that being so, what is the point of driving for a hour or two to
find Fava beans just because they were the ones we know were grown?
There may be a moral imperative here, as to being totally period (of
course, I'm cooking these on an electric stove and storing in a frig) but
when the resulting bean mush is all the same, I feel that the dangers of
serving Fava beans to people with a variety of  unknown health
problems--ancestry, medications, etc.--are not worth the doing.

Opinions welcome.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA