SC - barley

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Thu Dec 24 15:27:51 PST 1998

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>read recently of a similar reaction to various seaweeds and other wild foods
>on the part of the Irish, in the years after the Great Famine.  Eating these
>things reminded them of that terrible time, and no one wanted to eat 'famine
>food'.

Greetings Davra,

We also eat seaweed in Wales, but don't consider it "Famine Food".  It's
traditional for us.  It's chopped up like spinach, sprinkled in Oatmeal, and
then fried with bacon for breakfast.  We call it "Laver Bread" or "Bara Law"
in Welsh.  It tastes like sea salt.  Maybe the Irish had to go back to eating
it at the time of the famine?

Elysant
Who's been off the Cooks list for a little while as my E-mails were being
bounced after I switched Internet companies a few weeks ago.  Merry Christmas
everybody!