SC - Scottish/british food terms

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 29 17:40:33 PST 1998

Diana Haven wrote:

> >I use light cream as single cream too, and I agree with heavy cream
> being the
> >closest to double cream.  I have been able to find St Ives Devonshire
> Cream
> >here in the US.  I don't remember which grocery store though!
> >

> Adamantius, you should know of a very wonderful place in NYC that
> carries Devonshire Cream and Clotted Cream ( and they do email too.)
> BALDUCCI'S!

Oh, yes, I know lots of places to get Devonshire and/or clotted cream. I
was speaking earlier of finding American equivalent products for British
cream products: light cream for single, heavy for double, etc. I had
said there seems to be no locally made (or named) substitute for
Devonshire or clotted cream; you pretty much have to find those exact
items under those names (although it is possible to cheat and up the
butterfat content of heavy cream).

Balducci's is a wonderful place if you can stand the crowds from dawn
till dusk. I'm a big fan of both the Jefferson Market just a block or so
north of Balducci's, and Fairway on Broadway at 79th Street, too, which
have _slightly_ more basic foods, but absolutely fresh and very
reasonably priced, and fewer of the Young Urban Pretentious. Then, of
course, there's the store my wife refers to as Bean and Beluga, also not
too far from Balducci's.

Zabar's is another local resource, of course, with honorable mentions
going to Todaro Brothers on Third Avenue at 30th St., and Sahadi
Importers on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn Heights (the only place any
sensible person in New York City, all six of them, buys dried fruit).

I forget which one of these stores was selling the Heart of Louis XIV,
though ;  ) .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy