SC - Scottish/british food terms

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Tue Dec 29 18:19:34 PST 1998

Adamantius sez:

>Phlip, tell Andrew to use some brown
gravy with a little tomato paste stirred in, just enough to color it a
sort of deep mahagony color, and a slightly richer, sharper flavor.<

Awright, A, I'm busted ;-) Seriously, though, are there any texts where
locality-specific terms/terminology can be found ? I can deal with "Curye On
Inglysch" and other texts with glossaries, but sometimes our Brit cousins
have me far more baffled than our Romance/ Arabic/ Asian/ Native American
friends do. And I really hate wasting bandwidth on simple questions- would
much rather waste it on a good laugh ;-) Any detailed recommendations to
references would be appreciated, other than the
Oxford-which-I-cannot-afford-unless-I-find-it-on-line-Dictionary.

BTW, Bear, thanks for the info on the percentage butterfat in single cream-
where in blazes did you find THAT at?

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom

Southeastern Ohio

Phlip at bright.net

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.