SC - Re:Cookie Cutter Cookie Dough

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 30 10:42:40 PST 1998

Ruadh asked:

>That was when the little authenticity checker that you folks have
>instilled in me poked it's head up and said "I wonder if shortbread
>dough could be rolled and cut with a cookie cutter?

IIRC from previous discussions, shortbread might be just OOP.  There
were cookie-type things, usually called "cakes" as in Shrewsbury cakes,
etc.  Marzipan and sugar paste were (documentably) cut with tin
implements if the cook didn't have the skill to cut out the shape
otherwise.

> I wonder if there is something else like that that could?  Were there
>anything like modern sugar cookies?

Shrewsbury cakes make something like a cookie.

>I wonder if anyone has documented or found reference to
>anything, particularly cookies and such, frosted or iced?  What about
>colored icing?"  (it's a noisy little critter....)

Icing, as used on marchpanes, is very late period.  I have seen no
reference for it being spread on "small cakes" or cookies, only on the
marchpanes.  It was (to my knowledge) always white, hence the term
"icing".  It shone like ice when hardened in the oven. The icing used
was similar to the royal icing you mentioned, being a combination of
sugar and a liquid, but no egg white.

I'd say, forget about the period-ness because it wouldn't come close.

Alys Katharine, who's been silent for a long time