SC - Bread

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Dec 30 18:45:06 PST 1998

Stacie wrote:

> Good Morning,
> i am new to the list and am anxious to share and to learn. I have a
> question,,,
> I like no love to bake bread. Does anyone have good bread recipes, is there
> a good webpage for old fashioned bread recipes? etc...I'm looking for the
> kind that gggggmother's would make  8-)
>
> Thanks
> Stacie

Hi Stacie,
    I have a very simple recipie which won me first place in a bread-making
contest at our spring coronation (not to toot my own horn).  It is very tasty,
but incredibly easy to make.  Here goes.

2 cups of hot water (105-110)
1/2 Tbsp of shortning
1 pkg of dry yeast (I use a quick-rise, so my times are based on that)
1/4 cup of honey
1 tsp salt
flour (buy whole wheat and "Gold Medal brand wheat mix")

Melt shortning in water.  Add yeast and sugar and stir until dissolved.  Add
salt and begin adding flour while mixing with a fork (alternate 1/2 cup measures
of the two flours to keep an even amount of them in the mixture) until the dough
is able to be kneaded.  Dump dough onto a tabletop liberally floured with the
wheat mix flour.  Fold in as much of that flour as the dough will hold, then
knead it for a few more minutes.  Grease a bowl with shortning.  Place the dough
in the bowl, and coat the top with a thin layer of the shortning.  Let rise in a
warm place for 45 minutes.  Punch down.  Let rise an additional 45 minutes.
Punch down again and seperate into 2 greased loaf pans.  Let rise 35 minutes.
Place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees and bake 45-60 minutes (until browned
and hollow sounding).

If I'm serving the bread soon after, I butter the tops while hot out of the
pans.  If I'm freezing them, I skip this step.

Bood luck, hun!
Brenna