SC - Three Questions (one of them oop)

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Wed Dec 2 12:41:39 PST 1998

Going through my cookbooks lately, I found a recipe for Vinegar Taffy
which was fairly simple and which I thought would make a good children's
activity during an inside event. (Although if the weather keeps behaving
this nicely, we may not have any indoor events in Calontir this year: ) )
Does anyone know when taffy was first (documentable) made?

(OOP)Also my husband likes bean and bacon soup, but I can't seem to find
any recipes in my collection of cookbooks (three versions of the U.S
Senate bean soup, all calling for ham hocks, but no bacon) Does anyone
have a good one? Or should I just fry the bacon up and use it in place of
the hock?

On shortbread: I found a modern shortbread recipe that calls for cutting
the fat into the flour (as in pie crust) rather that creaming the fat and
sugar together and then adding the flour (as in cookies). Several people
at the business meeting came up to me later and said that although they
really didn't like shortbread, they really liked mine. My question is,
which way would it been made in period? Is there a recipe which tells the
 way to mix up the ingredients?

Beatrix
(about my faux pas, no, we shot the dino, not the kid<turning red>)
Oakheart/Calontir
Springfield, mo