SC - SCA and Sci Fi

S.Albert salbert at ptialaska.net
Wed Dec 2 18:26:35 PST 1998

>On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:22:51 EST Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:
>
>>I know I first heard about the SCA thirty odd years ago by reading an
>>SF story that included an SCA theme.  Do not recall if the name SCA >was
>used,  but the action was on Berkley Campus.
>
>I'm not sure I've read that one, but one of my favourites is "Ariel" in
>which the physical laws of the universe changes to allow magic but not
>mechanics.  The SCA and the Amish are the folks who survive it best.

>snippage
>
>There are some others, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
>I've also read a few others that have mentioned us--mysteries  and a
>novel or two.
>
>Caitlin NicFhionghuin
>House Oak & Thistle

And let us not forget the Hugo-&-nebula-award-winning novellete "Saturn
Game" by Poul Anderson, in which characters on their way to Saturn have
something similar to a holodeck to recreat in. One group has a fantasy game
going and some of the fantasy names are Anderson's SCA friends' names, as
well as his own, Bela of Eastmarch.

Fine story on its own, but the names are a nice added touch for us.

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at ptialaska.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson