SC - Sir Loin...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 2 20:13:11 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I wasn't kidding, really. there is an actual legend that he did this. There is
> no documentable proof though.
>
> A good fun book to read is "The Cultured Glutton" by John Goode. Published
> 19987. Lothian Publishing  Company PTY LTD/Headline Book Publishing PLC,
> London. ISBN 0 7472 3039 0. It is "The ultimate gourmet guide to the wit and
> wisdom of food from 'artichoke'  to 'zabaglione'". Good stuff! :-)
>
> Ras

Yeah, it _is_ fun, but the actual story, as I heard it, had to do with
the double sirloin, a.k.a. a "Baron of Beef", so the roast was
supposedly ennobled as Sir Loin, Baron of Beef. The story appears to
have originated in the 19th century, and there is ample evidence to
suggest that sirloin of beef is named for the cut beneath the loin on a
hanging side of beef: sur logne (my French is execrable). Certainly the
word sirloin appears in one form or another in both French and English
well before Hennery da Aith.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --