SC - Black-eyed peas

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 08:14:55 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/6/98 10:36:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, phlip at bright.net
writes:

<< Are you sure about that, Ras? I was always told that it was the other way
 around, that black-eyed peas were actually beans. >>

Sorry for the confusion. Black-eyed peas are a member of the Vigna spp. They
are all commonly referred to as cowpeas. Technically they are , in fact,
beans.  The legumes have many terms used for their several categories
including beans, cowpeas, peas, lupines and other terms depending on the
individual chacteristics.

While black-eyed peas are in fact a bean, they are more accurately cowpeas
when  a descriptive term is applied to them. My apologies for the confusion
but I was trying to distinguish them from Phaseolus and specific other Vigna
spp.at the time.

My error :-(.

Ras