SC - Different 12th Nights

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 20:38:25 PST 1998

Our 12 th Night is an intrashire event although a handful of close friends
from outside the shire attend. We charge shire folks only the cost of the site
which is a $6.00 per head contract with Bucknell University. It is held at
their retreat center in Cowan, PA. which is a beautiful lodge so far out in
the country that you can stand outside on a still day and not hear a single
traffic sound. :-)

Anyway, the shire provides the meat for Saturday evening feast and breakfast
food for Sunday morning free of charge as a thank-you to shire folk for all
their hard work during the preceeding year. Each participant is expected to
bring a dish to pass. As this is a very laid back relaxing  weekend,  'your
favorite recipe' is the only criteria for the dish to pass. period or not is
irrelevant although the Kitchen Steward usaually cooks the meat from a period
recipe or in a period manner. Feast is followed by a Chinese auction type of
gift exchange for the adults and a seperate exchange for any children that
might be present. An A&S table is set up for shire members to display their
latest crafts and a 'yard sale table' with donated items is also manned. We
use this get together to allow new mwmbers to get to know the shire better
without the confusion and business that a regular event exhibits..Scrolls of
appreciation are presented by the seneschal to shire members who have shown
excellence in the areas of A&S, service, or other areas.

As Kitchen Steward this year, I am serving a 2 layer pastry castle The first
layer will enclose a venison roast and the second layer (the keep) a bear
roast. Surrounding the castle will be 6 roast geese with venison sausages
piled between the geese. The bear, venison and sausages were donated. The
geese will be purchaced. If I can figure out how to keep the 4 corner towers
complete while allowing access to the roasts they will be used to contain the
4 sauces that will go with the meats.

Meats in the past have included lamb, wild geese, ducklings, roast beef and
assorted donated game.

Ras