SC - Re: Bara Brith - epilogue

Vicki Strassburg Eldredge taltos at primenet.com
Sun Dec 6 20:55:44 PST 1998

Good Elysant,

What you said about school rang a far distant bell with me, so I went and checked
my copy of American Woman Cookbook circa 1941. Voila! According to it, pudding
spice is:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

I think I like your mom's version as it would use less of the cinnamon. But of
course the bell it was ringing was the poem. I didn't find *it*!

~Maedb

snowfire at sprynet.com wrote:

> -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at sprynet.com>
>
> To all interested gentles on the SCA Cooks list
>
> I checked with my mother across the pond and she says Pudding Spice is merely
> equal quantities of Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ginger, and Mace (not Cloves).  She's
> never seen it available commercially, it was just "known that way" (they were
> taught how to remember in school by reciting a little rhyme, unfortunately she
> can't remember it all).
>
> So divide up the Pudding Spice quantity in the recipe equally between these 4
> spices and that should do it!
>
> Elysant
> Who's going to the Barony Beyond the Mountains Yule Event next week and is
> making Welsh Cakes for the Pot Luck.

- --
~ Me (vicki, maedb, taltos)

check it out: http://www.primenet.com/~taltos