SC - My first feast is over. Here's what happened (part one):

Gedney, Jeffrey gedje01 at mail.cai.com
Mon Dec 7 10:30:51 PST 1998

	Douse Desire
	Frumente
	Joutys
	Pears in syrip

"Dessert" soteltie

the recipes:

the first course
Souppes
	Take marye; do hit yn a pot with hony, poudyr of pepyr, poudyr
	of ginger & canell & ale & aleye hit. Take brede; cut hit in
	gobettys. Tost hem, couch hem yn disches. Loke thy syrup be
	salt; yyf hit a coulour of safron and serve hit forthe.
- ---------------------
- -- This went off better than I expected. I made it four days before. Having
never cooked with Marrow before, I found out that it was almost entirely
comprised of fat. I had I lot of trouble removing it from the bones, and
grinding it, as it made everything slippery and stickey(although my hands
felt nice and smooth). I used:
(serves about one hundred adn twenty)
6 large beef shank bones with the ends cut off (got a little over a pound &
a half of marrow)
A pound and a quarter of honey
A twelvepack of Sam Adams (I had trouble gettin a decent ale, and keeping it
itn the amount budgeted, but this I had lying around from Thanksgiving).
Owo tablespoons of cinnamon,
One Tablespoons of Pepper
One tablespoons ginger pouder.
Eight long ( about two and a half feet) Four day old french bread loaves cut
into slices
Boil everything together, till the volume is reduced by about a fifth. cool,
skim off most of the fat, leaving as much of the scummy stuff as possible
(easier if refridgerated).
Heat, stir, and ladle into bowls with chunks of bread in them.

(This was the first of the glitches, I accidentally added about three times
the pepper, because I did not check tat the lid of the pepper jar was on
correctly!. Luckily, after I refridgerated it, the pepper stayed mostly in
the plastic container, because it preciptiated out with some of solids, and
I had a good clear broth, and transfered only some of the solids. It came
off well, and was liked)
- ---------------------

Leche Lumbard
	Boyle datys in swete wyne; grynd hem. Draw hem with the
	same wyne as chargeaunt as ye may do em, yn a pott with sygure.
	Boyle hit. Put therto poudur of gynger & canell, a grete dele;
	stere hit well togedyr. Yf hit be nowghte styfe ynowght, put
	thereto hard yolks of eyron or gratyd brede; or els thu may
	boyle brawn and draw hit thorow a streynour withour eny lycour.
	in the boylyng, do hit togedyr. Also thu may do with al maner
	of leche lumbard that thu makyste, and yn lentyn tyme thu may
	hav of sundez of stockfisch. when hit ys boyled, take out of the
	pott; do hit on a bord. Presse hit togedyr. when hit is colde,
	cut hit in brede leches & serve hit forth, a leche or ii in a dysch,

	and power a little clarre aboven.

- ---------------------
This came off very well, and was well recieved.
Four Pounds of Pitted dates
Three cups sugar
Two to three cups well dried plain white bread crumbs
Three tablespoons of Cinnamon
One tablespoon of Ginger Powder
Ginger powder to garnish
More white bread crumbs
Red Wine (I used Almaden

Put dates in pot and add enough wine to cover them plus one inch. Boil it
for about twenty minutes (the skins should come off the dates.) Sieve out
the dates, reserving the wine.
Grind the dates in a processor until smooth, adding only enough reserved
wine to enable processing. The dates should be a thick smooth paste like
cooked oatmeal, and hold the shape of a spoon wen drawn through. It should
not be runny.
Put the paste into a pot, add sugar, spices, and, a scant cup of wine, (less
if the paste is thin or runny)
and heat, slowly, stirring until spices and sugar dissolves, and the mixture
is heated through. (careful , it will burn quickly!). Stir in the bread
crumbs, and take off heat, let it cool to a handling temperature.
Strew breadcrumbs on a sheet of plastic wrap, and plop a generous amount of
the mixture on the crumbs. Roll up into a thick (1 1/2 to 2 inches diameter)
log shape and wrap with the plastic, and refridgreate. repeat for as  When
completely cooled, unwrap, cut into thick slices (about 3/4 inch) and
arrange in bowl, sprinkle with ginger, and serve.

makes enough for 120
- ---------------------

Butturd wortys
	Take al maner of good herbes that thu mayste get. Peke hem,
	weshe hem, hewe hem; boyle hem in fayre water. Put butter
	therto, clarified, a grete dele, when they be boyled ynow.
	Salte hem; let none otemele come theryn. Dyse bred to
	smale gobbettys, and do in dishes, and powre wortys
	theruppon, and serve hem forth.

- ---------------------
Two large bunches Turnip Greens
Two large bunches Mustard Greens
Two large bunches Collard Greens
One large bunch Italian parsely
3 lbs butter
About 16 cups plain untoasted white bread croutons

Stem and coarsely chop greens and parsely. Lightly Parboil them (until
wilted and bright green) and sieve out the water. Melt and clarify butter
and mix with the greens. Pour mixture over croutons in bowls, and serve

Makes enough for 96

More to come, Including some things I discovered about Hattes!

Brandu