SC - re: meat

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 19:52:03 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/7/98 10:12:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, kat at kagan.com
writes:

<< he only bit about this I recall is that the reporter (who did indeed get
his
 research in person, on the killing floor) pointed out that even *after*
determining
 that mad cow disease can be spread through any and all neural tissue, the
 meatpacking industry continues to qualify spinal-cord tissue as "beef" for
 purposes of human consumption.

Was this killing floor in the USA or Britain? I can see where British subjects
may be concerned about this but I fail to see any refevance in the US meat
packing industry. I am unaware that this disease is a danger here. I often
times use the brains and 'spinal' tissue in assorted things. Like marrow it is
rather bland and has a 'fatty' texture but , also like marrow it is an organ
and not fat.It does add bulk and the fat-like texture allows for reduction in
added fats. I personally find it very edible.

What incidences of mad cow's disease have been reported in the US that would
make spinal or other nerve tissue a problem as a beef by-product ingredient?

Ras