SC - A thought for Pennsic

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Dec 7 22:19:10 PST 1998

Genevia said:

> Talk about cooking classes!! Butcher to barbeque - How to prepare pig
> medievally- start with slaughter and work your way through using the
> entire pig in medieval recipes/products probably take a hole week?
> Probably could be done with sheep and beef too?

I think that could be an interesting series of classes. However, after
an unfortunate incident where a live pig was not cleanly killed and
ended up being chased through various camps, the Coopers made a rule
that prohibited onsite butchering. With the density of campsites at
Pennsic, this probably makes sense. I don't know if you could get a
waiver or not.

Perhaps you could bring in the dead animal with just enough work done
to be safe?

I don't want my camp to be downwind however when you start rendering
or doing the tanning. :-)

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net