SC - Statistically speaking-sulphites-oop

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Dec 9 22:46:02 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/9/98 3:40:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pndarvis at execpc.com writes:

<< I didn't know that grapes contained sulphites.  Would anyone know if the
sulphites
 used to make wine come from a natural source in grapes, or strictly processed
(ie
 chemical components) only?  >>

Yep they do. Eggs contain more sulphites than wine per weight as does cabbage.
The sulphites in wine are derived from burning pure sulphur to eradicate
highlym carcihnogenic funges or from a antural sulphur compound added to the
wine that serves the same purpose.

Wine labels are not allowed to state they are sulphite free because thay can
not be because of the suphite content in grapes. thay are allowed to state
ythat they have no 'added' sulphites if they do not have them added. I for one
would rather risk the added suphites than risk cancer from the fungi.

Ras