SC - Guild lines from an old book (oop)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 11 20:08:57 PST 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> << >and then a verse I'm going to remember the next time I'm doing the inn or
>  >my first feast - "With God, all things are possible" Matthew 19:26
>

>  Thanks for sharing
>  Gwyneth
>  Greywood >>
>
> I personally find the Christian specific reference completely out of place and
> totally irrelevant.
>
> Ras

Now that many have seen my angry outburst for the day on an unrelated
topic ;  ), I feel I might be able to help put this in perspective.

First off, I'd be inclined to call the reference, at best, monotheistic.
What is irrelevant in this case is the fact that the observation by St.
Matthew was made by a Christian. It is quite applicable to any of
several religous belief systems, and I'd be had put to find a religion
that _doesn't_ speak of their interpreted deity(s) (if any) as more or
less all-powerful. That's why they're deities (if any).

Secondly, whether or not you agree with the statement, the fact remains
that the belief was widely held in 1950's Middle America. As my Mom used
to say, and still does, consider the source.

Ah, the path to political correctness is narrow and thorny... .

Adamantius, switching off philosophical mode after a dinner at the Grand
Central Station Oyster Bar
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com