SC - capers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Dec 14 23:20:02 PST 1998

gwyneth commented:
> The recipe call for cooking the chicken in oil.  Cook the barley in chicken
> broth and serving over the chicken with capers.  I also was unsure about
> the capers but they are given as an alternative to add to the flavor of the
> dish instead of part of the ingrediants.  It says to sprinkle parmessian
> cheese over the the barley/chicken mixture but I KNOW I don't have any
> period recipes calling for parmessian cheese.

Not by name but I think from previous discussions that it might be. Check
this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium for this or similar cheeses:

cheese-msg        (72K)  6/12/98    Medieval cheese. Recipes.

And this one in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section for info on period capers:

capers-msg         (9K)  5/14/97    Use of capers in medieval food.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(My files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html)