SC - Hedgehogs

Vicki Eldredge vstrassb at atlp.com
Tue Dec 15 13:04:20 PST 1998

Also, would anyone have a hedgehog recipe? the one that starts with
forced meat and uses lovely period spices (cubeb, pepper, ginger,
cinnamon)? I seem to have misplaced mine in a flurry of wrapping paper,
ornaments, gifts.....*sigh*
- -----------------------------------
Milady Diana,
First off, what is forced meat? And now on to your request:

1) Let's see - I have a recipe for hedgehog pudding obtained from Hannah
Wolley (1600's)
http://www.wwp.brown.edu/vol03num02/fromtb032.html
To make a Hedge-hogg pudding.
Take a twopenny loafe with fair water, and a little milke, the yolkes of
five egges, and three whites, one grated nutmegge and a little salt, some
sugar and a little rose-water, then butter a wooden dish and put it in, tye
it up close in a cloth that no water get in, put it into boiling water; and
when it is boiled slip it out into a dish, and prick it full of blanched
almonds cut in long slender pieces, and raisons of the sun cut in a like
manner; pour on it rose-water, butter and sugar.

2) It is my understanding that in period, hedgehogs were usually skewered
and barbecued. I haven't been able to find much other than that.

3) here's a non-period recipe, though:
Hedgehog Meatballs
1 egg
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup long grain rice
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 pound lean ground cow
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp crushed oregano
1/2 cup water
Combine egg, 1/4 cup soup, uncooked rice, onion powder and pepper. Add beef
and mix well. Shape into meatballs and place in large skillet. Mix up the
rest of the soup, the Worcestershire sauce, oregano and water and pour it
over the hedgehogs. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer. Cover, stir
often (but gently for hedgehogs are sensitive) for about 20 minutes. It's
done when the meat is no longer pink and the rice is cooked and sticking out
all over.

4) Here's something I'm doing this weekend for the crew meeting:
Hedgehog Roast
Prepare a beef roast any which way suits you. Right before serving, cut
angled slits at regular intervals covering 2/3 of the roast. Into these
slits, place cinnamon sticks. Of course, you want them all facing different
directions, but don't obscure the uncovered 1/3 at one end. Place two black
olives for eyes, some cloves for a nose. Serve it forth!

If anyone else has anything at all related to cooking hedgehogs, please post
it publicly so I can snag it, too! :-) I have a vested interest.

Sincerely,
Dame Maedb Drakonja
Port Mistress, hms Hedgehog
The Adrian Empire