SC - Re: Deer Heart - oop

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 16:31:51 PST 1998

In a message dated 12/17/98 10:23:45 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
pndarvis at execpc.com writes:

>  Also, does anyone have a good recipe for deer heart?  a friend says they
> always
>  sliced and fried the heart in a batter with spices, but could never
remember
> what.

Fried Deer Heart

1 deer heart
buttermilk
salt
black pepper
plain flour
Vegetable oil or lard

Slice deer heart into slices 1/4" thick.
Tenderize each slice by beating with your weapon of choice. ( I always use a
coca-cola bottle.)
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Place in glass casserole dish.
Add enough buttermilk to cover.
Cover dish, and allow to marinate for at least two hours.
In a large sauce pan heat oil on high until it bubbles when a bit of flour is
sprinkled into pan, then reduce heat to medium.
Mix flour with salt and pepper to taste.
Add a little bit more pepper.
Drain meat.
Dredge in flour mixture.
Fry in oil until golden brown and crispy, but not crunchy.
Drain on brown paper bags.

Serve with milk gravy and biscuits.

Milk Gravy

2 Tbs. pan drippings
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs. corn starch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cups milk

Heat pan drippings until sizzling over medium high heat.
Mix water, corn starch, salt, and pepper.  Add a little more pepper.
Stir milk into pan with drippings.
Heat milk until nearly boiling, but do not allow to boil.
Add corn starch mixture and stir constantly until thickened.
Remove from pan immediately and pour into a gravy boat.

For the biscuits you can use the quick ones I posted a day or so ago, or your
own recipe.

Mordonna