SC - Some yorkshire pudding tips!

Balano1 at aol.com Balano1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 19:37:36 PST 1998

Hey there Ann-Marie!

Yorkshire pudding is a specialty and one of my very most favorite Holiday
treats!  The recipes you've gotten from Korrin and Gwen-Cat sound fine and
there are personal variations abundant.

But a few tips on preparation -
1) After mixing the batter well, until bubbly - let it rest for at least 20
minutes, an hour is better.
2) Definitely preheat the pan with the drippings!!!  I use a cast iron pan and
heat till the drippings are sizzling.  I always start the oven hot 400-ish and
drop the heat back to 350 after the first 20 min.  The batter will puff up
immediately if the pan is properly heated.
3) make sure the pan is big enough so the batter is no more than 1/2 inch
deep, If the batter is too deep, you get a gummy pudding and lose the nice
puff effect.
4) Whatever you do - don't peek for the first 20 minutes!!!
5) Serve immediately upon removing it from the oven.

I'm drooling already.  Can't wait till Thursday night when we'll be sharing
roast beast and yorkshire pudding in our house!

Happy Holidays to one and all!

 - Sister Mary Endoline/Nadine de Worde
          In Sunny South Florida