SC - Biscuits-oop

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sun Dec 20 14:14:43 PST 1998

On 12/16/98 3:49 PM you wrote:

>From:	phlip at bright.net (Philippa Alderton)

>Anybody have a biscuit recipe real quick? My mother has a snootful, and just
>threw the bisquick box into the fire, and all my cookbooks are packed.

Yogurt Biscuits (Gerek's)

2 cups flour
2 teasp. baking powder
1/2 teasp. baking soda
1 teasp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup yogurt

Make as for baking powder biscuits. Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes.

     [Expanded instructions: Combine all the dry ingredients.  Cut in the
shortening with a pastry cutter (that half-moon set of wires with a
wooden handle holding the ends together) or a fork till the shortening
disappears.
     Add the yogurt and combine (start by stirring with a spoon, then get
in there & squish with clean hand(s) till you've incorporated all the
flour into the dampness).  Since this is a pastry-type thing, you do not
want to over-work it -- once the yogurt goes in, handle the dough gently
(!) -- like you were trying not to break eggs, or like you were playing
sensuous-touchy-feely with a handful of silk and velvet that would crush
if you gripped too hard or vigourously.
     When you have everything in one ball, turn it onto a lightly floured
surface.  To reinforce layering, you can turn it on itself, GENTLY, 2-3
times, before lightly flouring the top surface so it won't stick to your
rolling pin, and gently rolling it out about 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.  Then
cut your biscuits.  Rework the scraps, gently, into another mass that you
can roll, cut more biscuits, etc., till you have used all the dough.
Makes 8-9.  This number of biscuits will mostly fit into an 8 x 8; baking
pan (9 x 9 would be better, if you have it).  The tops will not color but
the bottoms will be light golden brown when done.  Also, the biscuits
will have risen to as much as twice their starting thickness.  This
biscuit is very moist and stays moist for a day or two (not that they
will last this long).]

     We have tried this in a Dutch oven at an event.  We tried the
classic method of settling it in coals and putting 6-8 coals on the lid.
It worked remarkably well under the circumstances.  We didn't have any
idea of timing.  Got cooked biscuits with only some scorching where the
heat was uneven.

Enjoy,
Chimene