SC - Sugars for medicinal use

The Cheshire Cat cheshire at southcom.com.au
Sun Dec 20 20:52:34 PST 1998

>Such a concoction could have concievably been used for medicines by an
>apothocary though. Does anyone have any evidence that flavored sugar syrups
>were used in this manner?
>
>Ras

I have some evidence that apothocaries sold several forms of sugar
medicines, particularly little twisted sugar sticks called 'pendia' and
rose and violet scented sugars which were reguarded as cured for coughs and
colds.
 This evidence comes to me in the form of a neat book I found in the
Library called
	A Leechbook or Collection of Medieval Recipes of the Fifteenth
Century.  Transcribed and edited by Waran R Dawson FRCE, FRSL, FSA Scotland
(Whatever they all mean), Macmillan and Co. Ltd  1934.  Sorry, I don't have
the ISBN on hand at the moment.
	  I have not yet found any evidence of sugar syrups, however I
would certainly not rule the possibility out.
- -Sianan