SC - Sugars for medicinal use

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Dec 22 08:06:34 PST 1998

Sianan stated a few episodes ago:
>I have not yet found any evidence of sugar syrups, however I
>would certainly not rule the possibility out.

Allison pointed out two good  books on the history of  Arab and
later Medieval medicine.  But you can go back further, starting with
honey, and work your way forward to syrups, as an alternative if
you get stuck while looking for information.

Try the major eqyptian papyri like the Ebers and the Smith, both
dated I think around 1500 or earlier B.C.  IIRC, both of these documents
detail the packing of wounds and burns with honey and coagulated milk,
wrapped with muslin. You can work your way forward from there
through various cultures and get to sugar syrups through the back
door. :)

To be honest, there are a bunch of scientific articles produced starting
in the 70s and going on into the 90s that should get you started on the
historical sugar and honey medicinal uses. There's a lot of crud you'll
have to wade through, but the historical summaries at the beginnings
might help you out.

Jasmine
gwalli at infoengine.com or jasmine at infoengine.com

PS: The Rawcliffe book that Allison recommended is excellent, BTW. I've
not read the Levey yet as it's not come in on interlibrary loan. But if you're
still asking for  holiday gifts, ask for Rawcliffe. It's well worth the price.