SC - What did Santa bring?

Sun Dec 27 20:58:02 PST 1998

> Oh and we also got about 30 lbs of Elk from a co worker of my  husband.
> Anyone have suggestions on what to  do with it.. i got a couple of t
> bones, some ground and a  couple of roasts. and more may be coming. Is elk
> period?  Help!!!!
> Zoe

The elk that you are describing is probably wapiti (Cervus canadensis), a
New
World deer.  The Old World elk is Alces alces, a species of moose slightly
smaller than Alces americana, the New World moose.

Since it is a deer, your elk is a logical substitution in European venison
recipes.  I wouldn't worry about periodness.  I'd cook it and enjoy.

Bear