SC - Scottish/british food terms

Tara Sersen tsersen at browser.net
Tue Dec 29 21:38:56 PST 1998

> Adamantius, you should know of a very wonderful place in NYC that
> carries Devonshire Cream and Clotted Cream ( and they do email too.)
> BALDUCCI'S!

Please excuse me if I missed something.  What with the holidays and
stuff, I've been deleting stuff half-glanced at (don't yell at me - I
promise I won't do it again!)  Anyway, my contributions are these : I
didn't know there was a difference between Devonshire Cream and Clotted
Cream.  At least, both names seem to mean the same thing at my local
tea-and-scones shop.  What is the difference?  And, I read a recipe
somewhere for Clotted Cream that basically said to whip cream.  Is there
some phase between whipped cream and butter that I'm not remembering?
Granted, it's been a long time since I've made butter, but I don't
remember anything coming out of there with a consistancy like clotted
cream - first it's way too fluffy, then it's butter.  Is there a trick
to it?

Magdalena
who's not quite recovered from the holidays yet...