SC - Re: Pine Nut Confection -long

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Dec 31 09:53:54 PST 1998

>Renata wrote:
>

>>I've lucked into rather a lot of pine nuts and I thought I'd try to
>>make Alys Katharine's Pine nut confection as 12th Night gifts.
>>Has anyone out there tried it? Any little surprises out I should know
>>about?
>
>Cindy Renfrow tried it.  Hope she is reading and can tell you about her
>experience with it.  I haven't been able to find _any_ pine nuts
>locally so I haven't tried it.  However, I found what I think is a
>picture of it in the Cleveland Museum of Art!  It is solid, not runny
>or gooey, and cut into large squares.  IIRC, Cindy had problems with it
>"setting up" and becoming firm, rather than tacky.
>
>Alys Katharine (soon to disappear again as school starts up)

Hello!  Yes, I'm here.  It just took some digging to find the recipe.  Here
is the original recipe Alys sent me, plus my attempt at it.  It set up just
fine.  My problem was I added about twice as many pine nuts as I should
have, so I got a very delicious pine nut brittle, rather than the
confection we were hoping for. I ran out of pine nuts & have not tried it
again.

> "How to Make a Confection from Pine-Nut Kernels".

>"Take as many well-cleaned and carefully shelled pine-nut kernels as you
>will, dry them or toast them a little. Or take them whole with their skins
>and shells and put them in a basket. Hang this over the hearth near the
>fire and leave it there for three days. Tus the heat from the fire will
>slowly penetrate them and dry them. Then take them out and clean them
>thoroughly. Next take two and a half pounds of nuts, being careful to keep
>them close at hand. Then take some of the most beautiful and best Madeira
>sugar, dissolve sufficient of it in rose-water and boil it until it
>attains the consistency of a jelly. If it is winter or a time when there
>is a lot of moisture in the air, boil it a bit longer, but if it is
>summer, then let it just simmer. this is when it does not boil over or
>bubble when it boils, which is a sign that the moisture had been
>evaporated; but to be brief, when it has boiled to the consistency of a
>jelly, as I have said, thake the preserving pan off th efire and put it
>somewhere where th eliquid can dry off and become firm. Then give it a
>good stir with a piece of wood and beat it continuously until it turns
>white. When it begins to cool down a little, add the white of a whole or
>half an egg and beat it well again. Next place it over the coals, in order
>to allow the moisture from the egg-white to stiffen, and when you see that
>it is properly white and like the first lot you boiled, take the dried,
>well-cleaned pine-nut kernels and put them into the sugar. Stir them with
>the wood so that they are thoroughly mixed with the sugar - this should
>still be done over the coal fire, so that the mixture does not cool too
>quickly.
>Then take a wide wooden knife, like the ones used by the shoemakers, and
>cut the mixture into pieces, each weighing about ana ounce and a half, but
>not more than two, which would not be good, and spread them carefully on
>to some paper until they have properly cooked, at which stage put a little
>gold leaf on to them and your confection is ready. If, however, it is not
>possible to obtain pine-nut kernels anywhere, use peeled almonds instead,
>dividing them either into two parts or three and mixing them with the
>sugar to make this confection. And if there are too few pine-nut kernels,
>you can replace them with pieces of almonds, for the latter are not
>dissimilar to the former in taste and potency. You can also use fennel
>which is flowering or in seed, which is kept in houses and used during the
>wine harvest. When your sugar has almost completely boiled and is hot and
>white with everything mixed in it or scattered over it, it looks like
>manna or or snow and is so beautiful and lovely."

And here is my attempt.