SC - Bread

Reia M. Chmielowski kareina at eagle.ptialaska.net
Thu Dec 31 14:19:05 PST 1998

At 12:36 12/31/98 , Bear wrote:

>With a corpus of four recipes, it is a little difficult to bake strictly
>period European bread, so I stray into odd places, like the panforte.  I
>discovered late last night that there is a Roman treatise on baking, which
>presumably gives recipes for 60 different kinds of bread.  If I can find a
>copy, it will give me a pre-period reference to compare with period and
>post-period references.

Although I've been baking most of my life, I've not really seen any
references for period breads.  Since I'm new to this list I've missed any
that were previously mentioned.  If you would be so kind as to send me a
list of references, and to let me know how I might actually obtain any of
them living as I do way off the road system in north western Alaska (read:
no book stores, and an inadequate library)...  That Roman one sounds
interesting too, at least if there is a translation since I don't read more
than a few words of Latin.

- --Kareina