SC - Sweeteners

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Dec 1 09:00:08 PST 1998

A note for those of you (like me) who have problems with artificial
sweeteners, have you tried Stevia?  It is a plant and is INCREDIBLY
sweet.  The leaves are ground and used, and just recently, an extract has
been made and can be purchased in liquid or powdered form.  We sell a
teeny-tiny bottle at the health food store I work in to carry around in
your purse or pocket.  One drop will sweeten a whole mug of coffee.  (It
is also sold in packets, or in a 2 oz. dropper bottle suitable for home
cooking.)
	It does have a flavor of it's own, but not so much in the
extracted form.  Certainly worth a try.  It has no calories, it is just
naturally sweet.
	Christianna