OT-Books (was Re: SC - Re:Breakfast at WAR)

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Thu Dec 3 06:58:31 PST 1998

>>  I know I first heard about the SCA thirty odd years ago by reading an
>> SF story that included an SCA theme.  Do not recall if the name SCA was used,
>> but the action was on Berkley Campus.

When I was both new to the SCA and heavily into SF, I found references
everywhere!

A few which spring to mind - The dedication in "The Dragon and the George"
by Gordon R Dickson is to 'Sir Bela of Eastmarch, who has known a dragon or
two'. If you read far enough through Christopher Stasheff's "Warlock"
series, you realise that their world was started by a bunch of SCA folk on a
generation ship. And I once was really proud of my own deductions when
reading Robert Asperin's "Lord Darcy Investigates" (I think it was that one
anyway), and he was given a pair of pistols engraved with his device, which
the book gave the blazon for - the lightbulb went off, I grabbed the
Armorial and looked up the device and sure enough...

Rowan
Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA